Friday, August 9, 2013

Day 13: The Cage

Last Friday, our curator Veronica was kind enough to take me on a tour of the Cage, an area in the center of the museum's basement that is gated off. Honestly, this was the highlight of my internship. Inside, there were several desks, filing cabinets, and humidifiers. Along the sides were rows of shelved cases that were covered in plastic sheets to protect the artifacts inside. Veronica and I had a very interesting talk on the ethical debate pertaining to the preservation of artifacts. There are many preservationists who believe exposure in museums have a negative effect on artifacts, and that their preservation outweighs the public's need to see them. Others believe that the museum has an obligation to show these artifacts to the public for the sake of knowledge. Balancing the two is a difficult task, and one that curators have to deal with daily. We also discussed the best ways to preserve artifacts while they're in storage. I have to say, it's made me rethink the way I store things in my crawlspace. The plastic sheets that cover the shelves protect them from dust or any potential water catastrophes. For the more delicate items, such as wedding or confirmation dresses, acid-free boxes are essential. For the more durable items, acid-free tissue in a standard box is acceptable. Clothes that are hanging should have cotton padding on the hangers and covered completely in muslin. Cotton muslin is a delicate fabric that doesn't have any harsh chemicals, and is therefore used often when dealing with artifacts. Banners are rolled and placed in a cotton muslin bag; the white gloves used when handling the artifacts are made of it. The tour definitely increased my fascination with preservation.
Back in the office, I read the transcripts from the interview with the owners of the Swedish Bakery. I outlined a rough map of the places the named. When I look at photos in the archives, I will be able to confirm these locations visually.

No comments:

Post a Comment